Maya Hendrickson - Blog Post About Storytelling Project

 While choosing a story to tell, I considered what would be the most entertaining to listen to, as well as what would be interesting for me to tell. In the end, I chose a moment that has stuck with me for many years. I was at a neighborhood block party with a couple of my friends in 5th grade. We decided to walk up into a little patch of trees next to the street. We didn't know this then, but this was actually somebody's property. We were walking around when we saw this thin piece of wood that was probably 10 ft by 10 ft in front of us. Curious about this mysterious slab of wood, one of my friends stepped onto it. Immediately, she fell straight down. The mysterious piece of wood was actually the ceiling of a garage. 

I'm not great at public speaking, or speaking in general, so this project was difficult for me. It helped me hone skills in speaking without a rehearsed speech. I wouldn't say I enjoyed this project, because public speaking is extremely anxiety-inducing for me, but I'm glad I did it. 

It was really exciting to hear some of my classmates stories and get more of a glimpse into their lives. It is much harder to connect with people during online school than it is when we are in-person, but this project helped with that. I don't think I learned anything else about myself, but this project was out of my comfort zone so I'm happy that I did it. 



Comments

  1. I like that you choose a moment that has resonated with you for a while. I also like how you were able to push your comfort level with this project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely think that telling a story of a memory that scares people and will stick with them whenever they are in certain situations is something that is really interesting

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you were able to get outside your comfort zone and connect with others.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Profile: Emilie Kono and Kelly Ryu

Photojournalism

Frankie Lopez Profile