Profile: Emilie Kono and Kelly Ryu



Guest post by rising sophomore Sandra Thein, photos courtesy of Kelly Ryu and Emilie Kono

I love those college YouTube videos: “2018 COLLEGE DECISION REACTIONS - IVY LEAGUE AND MORE!” The enthusiasm and gratitude the applicants radiate upon hearing where they will be spending the next four years of their lives is inspiring and motivating for a high school student like me. 

I'm also inspired by students closer to home. Graduating senior Emilie Kono is a student athlete with a love for science and music. "Both in and outside of school," says Kono, "my family, friends, coaches, teachers and mentors have all been incredibly supportive in pushing me to reach my full potential; I can’t thank them enough! I knew that I wanted to be at an academically high achieving school and Stanford was an excellent choice. Between the incredible professors, facilities and some of the brightest students in the nation, I knew that I would be lucky to join them.”

The only way she could describe her initial reaction to receiving her acceptance decision was “completely overwhelmed and absolutely ecstatic."

Kono plans on studying bioengineering with a pre medical focus, but would like to take lots of classes that lie outside the sciences as well. Outside of academics she plans on continuing to play the violin and participate in intramural sports as well as find a place to volunteer. Furthermore, she hopes to find an internship or research position and plans on taking a quarter abroad. 

Graduating senior Kelly Ryu is a scholar with a passion for human physiology. She believes that an academic life and a social life are both essential. “Academic rigor is always a safe way to go about school, however, the more social you are, the better opportunities [you have for] in engaging in the community for service or even taking the stress off of assignments. Everyone needs a social life. There needs to be a balance.” 

Ryu was awarded the Pathway Oregon and Summit Award by the University of Oregon and will be attending there with a full ride scholarship this fall. “I have practically lived my entire life in Oregon and was born in Eugene," says Ryu, "so I feel at home at the campus.” Out of school Ryu loves Taekwondo, golfing and baking. 

Emilie Kono and Kelly Ryu are the women of the future.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Photojournalism

Frankie Lopez Profile