Mary Carney: Getting Emergency Surgery

 When choosing which story to tell for this project, I had a lot of options, but none were quite as exciting or interesting as when I had emergency surgery in November of 2019. The story also impacted my life in a big way. In short, last November I had to get an emergency appendectomy after being rushed to the ER. I rode in an ambulance and everything, and looking back at the memory now it was actually a very cool experience. 


I've always been a pretty good public speaker, but I'd never had to tell a story to a classmate in this way before, so this was a new experience. Even with such an important story, it was hard for me to slow down and tell all the details, as I found myself rushing through it. When I told it to a second classmate, I was able to add in more important aspects of the story and lengthen it. I enjoyed this project because it introduced me to a different kind of public speaking that I needed to work on. I also got to hear some exciting stories from my classmates, which was very interesting.


When telling my story to a classmate, I got partnered with someone I don't really know very well, so it was interesting to learn more about them through their story. As for myself, revisiting this story and telling it to someone other than family made me realize just how much the memory impacted me. 

Comments

  1. I thought that the things you learned about telling a story were super interesting and helpful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was hard for me to slow down and tell the details of my story as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate with how hard it is to slow down and focus on how to tell it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Profile: Emilie Kono and Kelly Ryu

Photojournalism

Frankie Lopez Profile