Storytelling: Accessory Navicular

By Redding Longaker
For my storytelling project I decided to write about the time in 7th grade when I was playing basketball and I rolled my ankle, but it wasn't just a normal ankle roll. It turned out that I have Accessory Navicular. Accessory Navicular is an extra bone in each of my feet in the inner side arch of my ankle. It is incorporated within the posterior tibial tendon, The posterior tibial muscle attaches to the back of the shin bone. The posterior tibial tendon connects this muscle to the bones of the foot. It passes down the back of the leg, not far from the Achilles tendon, then turns under the prominence of the inner side of the ankle. So when I rolled it felt like I broke my foot and I could barely walk. Only 2.5% people get it. Since my foot wasn't fully grown yet they didn't have to do surgery to remove it, but I did have to wear a boot for 6-8 weeks. Since this happened I missed the rest of my 7th grade basketball season and the start of 8th grade.
I learned a lot about my class mates. I learned that Ryan flew on a helicopter and that George flung his friend off a skateboard this was by far a good unit.
I think it helped our class come together because we told each other our life stories, so we became more comfortable to talk in front of the class without being embarrassed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Profile: Emilie Kono and Kelly Ryu

Photojournalism

Frankie Lopez Profile