Podcast Review: Race at Lincoln



By Lulu Kashiwabara

I listened to the podcast series Race at Lincoln. In this particular episode the hosts talked about rap music and how it affects Lincoln students. This podcast was made by Justin Ching. He interviewed four people, including one teacher and three students.

I though that this podcast tackled very important issues, such as cultural appropriation and negative stereotypes perpetuated through music. At school, especially at Lincoln, it's crucial that these realities of our world are spoken about to spread awareness about topics of race and racial prejudice. In addition, the interviewees seemed very knowledgeable  about the subject matter and sounded very educated on it when they were getting interviewed. The only thing I disliked was the transitions that the podcast has, which sounded a bit choppy and unnatural. Other than that, the podcast sounded great and spoke about such relevant issues to the Lincoln community.

Through listening to this podcast, I learned a lot about how much our school perpetuates stereotypes, and how that affects Lincoln students. I wasn't aware that rap music could instill this many misconceptions about certain communities, and I'm glad that I know that this happens at this school. In general, this podcast taught me a lot about the rap/hip hop genre and its affect on Lincoln. This was a great podcast to listen to and I hope this series continues!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Profile: Emilie Kono and Kelly Ryu

Photojournalism

Frankie Lopez Profile