StoryCorps Interview Reflection: Tracy Knofczynski

By Elle Knofczynski
My mom Tracy Knofczynski, pictured in her favorite spot to be: on the water.
Photo by Elle Knofczynski

For my interview, I talked with my mother, Tracy Knofczynski. Overall, the interview went really smooth. My mom has always been my best friend and it is not unusual for us to dive into deep topics, so it was relatively easy to talk without discomfort. However, this was a bit different than most of our conversations since we do not typically discuss her past or how it was like for her growing up. I think it can be hard for her to reflect upon how difficult it was for her as a teenager and young adult.

I think doing this type of interview helped me understand that an interview does not have to be a direct Q&A where the subject can only answer the questions posed. It was nice to see that an interview can truly be more of a free-flowing conversation; an interview does not necessarily mean it has to be formal.

It was especially interesting doing this interview with my mom since I feel like I know her so well. I think this process prompted me to ask her questions that I did not think I would already know the answer to or to ask about parts of her life that she has not really shared with me before.

Comments

  1. Really cool you got to talk about topics you don't normally talk about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though you're already close with your mom, it's nice that your interview sparked a new kind of conversation between the two of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that your reflection described your relationship with your mom and how it impacted the interview

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Profile: Emilie Kono and Kelly Ryu

Photojournalism

Frankie Lopez Profile