Ok Boomer editorial cartoon




By: Bailey Armstrong

I created this cartoon to not only represent a problem but also a cultural shift in intergenerational relationships. For many years older generations always complain at younger generations but with the popularization of “okay boomer” Gen z has found a way to retaliate and almost discredit what older generations say negatively about them. This is also a commentary on the recent climate strikes. Gen Z is speaking out on climate issues and is faced with mix results. Older generations have shown their actions in a negative light but that has not only stopped Gen Z but inspired them to fight more.


I was motivated to make this cartoon because it shows a Gen Zs point of view on how the slang term is used and climate strikes not being received well in older generations. I am also inspired to create this cartoon to stop the single-story this generation doesn’t care, are lazy and can amount to nothing.


I used slight elements exaggeration to show the difference in age between the characters, I used slang to increase the meaning in my message and add an element of satire. Finally, I used symbols to show the young boy as a climate activist and make the message understandable.

Comments

  1. Nice editorial cartoon! The art is pretty cool and the message is very impactful. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your idea! It's timely and relatable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did a good job on explaining the meaning of your cartoon and how "ok boomer" is a crucial part of it. The picture is easy to understand and symbolism is used very well through the age difference of the two people and other elements.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like how you incorporated a modern term with a long time issue!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This cartoon is the best! I think that you do a good job showing your opinion and also informing people on the term "ok boomer." I found this cartoon really relatable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this editorial cartoon. It is clear and to the point and your artist statement is very descriptive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was pretty funny; actually got me to laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cartoon is well done and covers a very current issue!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the message that this cartoon sends! And with your descriptions it was very clear to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved your editorial cartoon and the message that it told

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Profile: Emilie Kono and Kelly Ryu

Photojournalism

Frankie Lopez Profile