Editorial Cartoon


By: Hanna Grewe

I drew this cartoon in an attempt to highlight topics that I am currently learning in my freshman
history class. We briefly covered topics about Native Americans and their representation in our
history. How in the past, historians only represented white settlers and politicians without
specifying the cruelty that went behind America’s expansion, especially when it came to the
treatment of Native Americans. In my history class, we also mentioned how history books,
especially in the early 1900s, we biased and didn’t give the full scope of what actually happened
in America’s past. 

Through the process of making this cartoon, I wanted to make sure that the characters were
easily identified as Native Americans and white politicians. I used exaggeration to exaggerate the
Native American clothing and hair in order to make them more identifiable. I also exaggerated the
white politicians’ hair to make them look more commonly like the white wig politicians wore in the
past. I then drew a picture of a polaroid picture in order to symbolize textbooks back in the 1950s.
I also used labeling in order to better identify the picture as resemblance a U.S. history textbook. 

What I’ve learned through the process of coming up with ideas and drawing my editorial cartoon
is the ability to express ideas through art. I’ve never been that interested in art, but this project
helped me to reflect on the power and message of a single cartoon and the ability it has to
represent huge world-wide issues. 

Comments

  1. I like the cartoon that you created because like you said, it connects to what Lincoln students learn about. I think you did a nice job clearly displaying your opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how your editorial cartoon includes very modern aspects in a historical context. The artist statement was also very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great way of representing the misrepresentation in history textbooks and has a very distinct message that people can understand easily. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your editorial cartoon idea and how you explained why it matters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I imdetaly understood the topic and adding the textbook was a great idea

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Profile: Emilie Kono and Kelly Ryu

Photojournalism

Frankie Lopez Profile