PDX Media Day



Picture by: Visitor7
By: Claire Yoo

A group of students from Lincoln’s Mass Communications class went to the annual PDX Media Day on March 8, 2019. This informational event held for high school journalists all over Portland was located in the White Stag Building where the widely known Portland Oregon sign is on the roof. We went around the building visiting sessions where we learned about different aspects of being part of the media. Each session leader prepared a 50 minute speech or presentation about their job, and gave knowledgeable answers to students and teachers’ questions creating an interactive environment.

The sessions I went to were “Finding Your Inner Superhero” by Tim Henderson and Hanna Jones, “So You Want to Launch a Podcast” by Andrew DeVigal, “Being a Foodie on Instagram” by Enton Lok, and “See the ‘White Stag’” led by John Roper. The first three sessions were about the different jobs that people can have being part of the media, and they had additional helpful information regarding that job. The last session that I went to was a tour of the White Stag Building, and it was an experience where you could go to the roof of the building to see the beautiful sight of Portland all at once. This was the highlight of this trip for me, because it was a once in a lifetime experience, and the view was truly amazing.

In this field trip, I learned about a variety of information regarding the media. In my first session, I learned about the different techniques a reporter can have when interviewing ordinary people. In the second session, I learned about the different software, materials, techniques, and formats that are best when making your own podcast. In the third session, I learned about the most appealing ways to take pictures of different foods so that you can be a successful “foodie” on social media. I really appreciated the session leaders for making parts of the session interactive, and I really loved touring the building with the friendly staff. I would definitely recommend other mass communication students to go on this field trip, and I would go again if I get the chance.

Comments

  1. I like how in depth you want in your writing, and how you explained everything that we did, making a good summary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked that you included the sessions that you went to and all of the things that you learned at them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Profile: Emilie Kono and Kelly Ryu

Photojournalism

Frankie Lopez Profile