Student, Republican, and wrestling fan, Aidan Kent poses next to a mattress at a friends house
Photo by: Mak Johnson


Mak Johnson
Aidan Kent
November 2nd, 2018

More People Should have that choice
Fast judgements and an immediate shock is usually what follows when someone expresses that they have an opposing view to the widely spread liberal beliefs of Lincoln High School. Aidan Kent, who always has a buzzcut and a strong quippy personality, is a sophomore  and is scared to come out as having more typically conservative views on subjects because of stereotypes people have about his belief system.
“If I say “we shouldn’t ban all guns” that means that I want kids to die, or I want people I love to die. I feel like I get guilt tripped sometimes,” says Kent.
Kent has found that there are many stereotypes that follow the term “conservative.”
“... for conservatives what I have personally heard: [that they are] hard Christian, anti-gay, anti-LGBT, anti-any other race than white. I’ve been told that conservatives are white supremacists.”
Kent has also heard many stereotypes on liberals as well.
“I have seen many stereotypes towards liberals. That they are weak, that they are always complaining about everything, that they don’t know how to deal problems with themselves, they’re too open minded, y’know, that's what I hear.”
Kent says he’s  found living in a more liberal environment has made an uneven battleground of ideas.
“... it's kind of this weird thought, that conservatives are seen as the oppressors,” says Kent. “But you look at Portland and their hiding, you’re hiding that you wanna view this way politically.”
“There’s always negatives in groups. I don’t think it accurately depicts all of the people in that group, but it accurately depicts some of the people in that group,” says Kent says about whether when asked if these stereotypes are accurate.
When asked about how we should try to solve this issue Kent expressed how “The parents” can make the biggest influence,on their kids.
“But I think that pushing your own opinions on your kid is pretty awful in my opinion,” Kent says. “You can have your opinions, you can share them or your point of view. But I think you should not deny your child. If you are very liberal, and your family is very liberal and your child y’know, starts to believe in these right [Conservative] ideas, do not be scared of that. Do not take them away or, how dare you. Embrace that, and be like okay, we’ll share our knowledge about it, and you can share what you think, and why you want to do it.”.
Kent was not heavily influenced by his parents to lean towards any particular political party.
“I kind of grew up by myself a lot, raised myself. So up until the summer I was totally against everything political. Then I learned stuff that I personally believed. And that kind of pursued me to go more right, and I feel more people should have that choice.”







Comments

  1. this piece is written really well and I love how you and Aidan talked about and focused on ideas that aren't necessarily welcomed in lincoln's overly liberal environment

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating to read about a new perspective and what it's like to be conservative at Lincoln.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cool to hear about the perspective of someone who doesn't align with the popular party at Lincoln. It gives a better understanding of what some people at lincoln believe

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Profile: Emilie Kono and Kelly Ryu

Photojournalism

Frankie Lopez Profile