Junior Already Plans on Leaving Portland ASAP


Photo by Anna Loy
Cobban laughing 
By Anna Loy

Harry Cobban dreams of leaving Portland. A junior, he dreads school. He is ready to spread his wings and see the world beyond high school.

Cobban is already a well worn traveller, having taken large trips almost every summer and moving internationally twice.

“I was born in England and I lived there for three years; I don’t really remember that. Then I moved to Amsterdam. Amsterdam’s great, I wouldn’t mind moving back there, for a couple years,” said Cobban. “Then I moved here when I was six and America has been pretty good to me. I have been through a lot, made a lot of friends.”

Moving across the world is a big deal. You have to leave friends and family behind, starting completely over. Some kids might resent that they had to move, but Cobban says he isn’t one of them.

“It hasn’t really affected me. Mostly because I lost my accent and I didn’t really live there for that long. I am mostly American now,” Cobban said. He believes the transition wasn’t that hard in part due to how young he was when he moved. He also says that there isn’t much of a difference between British culture and American culture. The most notable culture clash, he says, is that British people can take a joke, where Americans can’t

Cobban has a strong prejudice against school, and all events relating to it.

“I think I am uncomfortable when I’m not doing something I enjoy. Like at school I am uncomfortable. I don’t like how it’s such a pressured environment.” Graduation is an event Cobban say he can’t wait for. He is tired of spending so much time cooped up inside.

Cobban says he stays away from school activities, claiming they don’t suit him. Though he claims to avoid all school sanctioned activities, he plays varsity tennis and is a member of two clubs, SAFER and Walking Around in Nature Club. He enjoys playing tennis, saying,“It is a good outlet for energy.”

When he isn’t in school, Cobban travels with his family.

“You can experience new things and meet new people. Probably like anyone would say, but it is really fun,” he says. After seeing so much of the world, Cobban has decided he wants to move to Australia.

“My favorite place is Australia. It’s super sunny and there’s lots of babes and swimmingand fun vibes, good music.” Even though he thinks about moving to Australia, Cobban’s future remains open.  Until graduation, Cobban only has one goal, which is to “Get out of here, get out of Portland.”



Comments

  1. Overall, I thought that this was really well written. The transitions between paragraphs gave the profile an easy flow, and the way you intigrated your own words with Harry's was very well done. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cobban's personality really shines through in this profile, and you really feel like you're getting to know him. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked the quotes you chose for your review because it gives us an idea of the type of person he is. It was cool to see a perspective of someone who doesn't enjoy Lincoln because most of the people reviewed do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really could get the personality of the person. Great job on the transitions and photo too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this article, it is very well written! You had really great wording!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the quotes you used and overall it's really well written.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how you captured the real identity and personality. I really liked your style of writing it, such as the humor.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Profile: Emilie Kono and Kelly Ryu

Photojournalism

Frankie Lopez Profile