StoryCorps Interview: Barbara Franzen


By Kate Franzen

For my StoryCorps interview, I sat down with my grandma, Barbara Franzen, and talked about family, relationships, tradition and lessons well learned.

We recorded the interview in my room so it was easier to focus and we had no distracting background noise. The interview went well, but we had some hiccups along the way. Due to the deep content of most of my questions, the interview got pretty emotional and we had to pause a few times to have raw moments and conversations. My grandma was very open to the conversation though and we took it as an opportunity to get to know each other even more.

By doing this assignment, I learned what and what not to do when interviewing a subject, how to properly prepare for an interview, and a lot more about my grandma. Throughout the process, I learned about her childhood memories, her family and how I impact her life. The last questions I asked turned the tables and gave my grandma the opportunity to ask me something she had never asked me before. She was able to learn more about me because of it and we became closer after recording this interview.

Comments

  1. It's great that your interview made you and your Grandma become closer and learn new things about one another!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you said the interview brought you and your grandma closer. It's also cool that you learned how you impacted her life because it's something a lot of people don't really think about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing that you and your grandmother got closer through this interview process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really cool how you connected with your grandma on a deeper level!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cool how you got to know each other better!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Profile: Emilie Kono and Kelly Ryu

Photojournalism

Frankie Lopez Profile