Learning about photography at PDX Media Day








Balda_Baldinette_II.jpg ‎(234 × 171 pixels, file size: 15 KB, MIME type: image/jpeg)
 Creative Commons license.

By Jade Hall
PDX media day initially wasn't something I was very enthusiastic about. It was the idea of having to walk in the cold and also missing a valuable day at school that made me a little uneasy. However upon arrival I noticed how involved all the student journalists were and I even ran into a couple of my friends that go to a different high school. The first session I attended was about asking good questions. I have to say that it was probably the most beneficial to my growth as a student journalists. The presenter was extremely interesting and and her humor helped keep the audience engaged.

My next few sessions were solely focused on photography, I was surprised at how interested I became in sports photography,. The presenter was Craig Mitchelldyer a freelance photographer in Oregon. He touched on skills and techniques for being able take great sports photos, he also explained his job. Mitchelldyer works for mainly soccer teams and at the moment tours with the Portland Timbers.



Although all my sessions I attended were captivating the one that was truly memorable was my last one with Lisa Loving whose personality is unlike anyone I've ever met. She is loud, bold and her presentation about the use of cell phones in media was eye catching. My biggest takeaway from her presentation really didn't have much to do with cell phones but rather with being a student journalist, she said “we are the future so we need to take charge and learn because we will be the next line of journalist and reporters”. This is an extremely important message that many student journalists never really think about and I'm really happy she touched on it. Overall my experience at PDX media day was positive and I definitely recommend it to anyone wanting to become more educated about the ins and outs of the media world.

Comments

  1. like how you explained your initial reactions about going to PDX Media Day

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how descriptive of each session this is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you showed that this wasn't something you really wanted to do, but you still ended up enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love how detailed you are in your descriptions

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the tone in your writing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Profile: Emilie Kono and Kelly Ryu

Photojournalism

Frankie Lopez Profile