Cards Talk with Oregonian Editor, Therese Bottomly



Photo by: M. Rechner

By Gabby Shaffer
Therese Bottomly is the editor of the recognized paper, the Oregonian. On Thursday, March 7, she hosted a “Cards Talk,” a question and answer about a Lincoln Alumni at Lincoln. She was accompanied by current editor of the Cardinal Times, Sagarika Ramachandran. The two female editors spoke of hardships and underrepresentation of women in the newsroom and how it has changed overtime. This talk was very important for members of the community to understand what her job is like and what she does.

Bottomly graduated from the University of Oregon in 1983 after graduating from Lincoln. She joined the Oregonian as an intern quickly after she graduated from college and has been there ever since. In 1998 she started in a senior leadership role and became editor in fall of 2018. She has also been a Pulitzer Prize juror twice. With all of these very impressive accomplishments at age 52, we can all look up to Bottomly as a proud Lincoln Cardinal.

I learned about what it is like to be in a publication that is heavily male dominated, and publications that are shifting to becoming more diverse. I really appreciated learning about Bottomly and Ramachandran's views as editors and how they have to stand by their decisions in the newsroom. I also enjoyed how they spoke confidently and smoothly. I found the stories of their successes in the newsroom very inspiring.





Comments

  1. I wish I had gone to this talk! sounds like it was super informative and fun to listen to

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me feel like I was there! Oh wait, I was :) I loved your descriptions and how you talked about underrepresentation of women.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the background you gave, and how you briefly described what they talked about and how it inspired you. Makes me wish I had gone too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved that you ended it with a strong point and gave background as well, it was very informative!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Profile: Emilie Kono and Kelly Ryu

Photojournalism

Frankie Lopez Profile