Profile: Alex Sutter


Photo by: Preslee McCarthy. Posed outside of Lincoln High School on a tree trunk. Sutter explain more of her cultural background.

By: Preslee McCarthy
Alex Sutter is a freshman. Sutter attended Skyline k-8 prior to high school. She has lived in portland her whole life.
Her ethnic background is partially SScottish but she is mostly German. Sutter’s grandmother previously lived in Germany but had to move here because of WWII.


“When I was younger I was involved in a lot of stuff that had a lot to do with my German background. I played with toys from Germany, I ate, and still do eat the food.” said Sutter
Some of the German foods Sutter eats include spaetzle, roulade, schnitzel, German pretzels, softis, and hanute. Sutters grandmother moved to the states from Germany a little after WWII. When WWII was actually going on, she moved to a different part of Germany.
“My grandmother told me when I was younger how she came to America when she was just becoming an adult because her sister was in the states and she told my grandmother that she should move there as well. She also moved to different parts of Germany during WWII .” said Sutter.
Portland is a very diverse city, holds a lot of different cultures and festivals for many. One of the festivals that Sutter has attended is Oktoberfest.
“At Oktoberfest we sing songs with people, eat food, and gather with people that are like you.”
With different cultures comes a lot of stereotypes.
“Me personally I haven’t been stereotyped as much as most but when i was in first grade some of the kids would call me Hitler and I wouldn’t know what it was but i took offense to it.”
Everyone is going to be stereotyped but Sutter doesn’t pay much attention to it.
“But i can’t really be that offended because my background hasn’t had a really rough time, i mostly just ignore “it”.”

Comments

  1. Nice usage of quotes. It's almost as if Alex Sutter is writing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting topic and great use of your quotes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the quotes and the word choice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Profile: Emilie Kono and Kelly Ryu

Photojournalism

Frankie Lopez Profile